An Worldwide Osteoporosis Basis (IOF) survey accomplished by greater than 7000 girls aged 60 and over from 5 nations has revealed that damaged bones have an effect on virtually one in two girls on this age group, and that, paradoxically, bone well being is uncared for throughout medical check-ups.
The survey, carried out through Fb within the lead-up to World Osteoporosis Day, was focused at girls aged over 60 in Brazil, Japan, South Korea, Spain, and the UK.
The survey invitation reached greater than 2.5 million girls, and a complete of 7139 surveys have been absolutely accomplished.
Key findings of the survey
- On common, virtually half (43%) of the ladies surveyed said that that they had damaged a bone following a minor fall or bump after the age of fifty. The proportion was highest in Japan (73.3%) and the UK (60.9%), and lowest in Brazil (21.6%).
- Analysis and remedy have been clearly insufficient as a mean of 32.7% didn’t have a diagnostic scan and 45% didn’t obtain any type of remedy for osteoporosis following their fracture. The remedy hole was highest in Spain the place 58.4% said that that they had not acquired remedy, adopted by Brazil (52.4%).
- Of the 57.16% of respondents who indicated that they had not damaged a bone, a mean of 31.3% said that that they had by no means mentioned bone well being or osteoporosis with their docs. This was highest within the UK (51.1%) adopted by Japan and Spain (every 31.3%). Of those that had mentioned bone well being with their docs, a mean of 63% indicated that that they had a diagnostic scan (starting from 43.7 % within the UK to 72% in Brazil and South Korea) and a mean of solely 13% said that that they had mentioned danger elements.
- In all nations surveyed, wrist fractures have been the most typical kind of fracture (common 33.1%) adopted by spine fractures (common 20.1%).
- Spinal fractures on account of osteoporosis typically stay undiagnosed and unrecognized. A excessive proportion of the ladies who mentioned that they had not damaged a bone indicated that they have been experiencing both again ache (common 49.4%) or peak lack of greater than 4 cm / 1 ½ inches (common 18.2%), with the latter starting from 6.7% in Japan to 25.7% in Spain.
Osteoporosis and the necessity for post-fracture care
Osteoporosis is a progressive illness that ends in weak and fragile bones which may break simply, even after a minor slip from standing peak, a sneeze, or just from bending to choose up a grocery bag. Though osteoporosis impacts each men and women, it’s most typical in older girls because the protecting impact of oestrogen declines with menopause. Fractures ensuing from osteoporosis might be life-changing, resulting in ache, immobility, prolonged hospital stays and, typically, to vital lack of high quality of life and independence.
A previous osteoporotic fracture is a predictor of extra, and sometimes extra severe, secondary fractures. With out acceptable post-fracture care girls who’ve fractured are at double the chance of extra fractures, and the chance is highest within the following two years. With post-fracture care, together with acceptable analysis, remedy and follow-up, the chance of subsequent fractures might be tremendously lowered.
This worldwide survey confirms that osteoporosis-related fractures symbolize a serious well being situation, with virtually one in two of the ladies surveyed having sustained an osteoporosis-related fracture. Moreover, though we all know that one fragility fracture doubles the chance of extra fractures, the survey discovered that some 45% of the ladies who had damaged a bone didn’t go on to obtain the anti-osteoporosis remedy wanted to stop extra, doubtlessly life-threatening fractures sooner or later.”
It was additionally distressing to see that so many docs usually are not discussing bone well being with their sufferers. Whereas levels of cholesterol and blood strain are routinely managed and handled for the prevention of cardiovascular occasions, girls are evidently not being routinely evaluated for osteoporosis, the underlying trigger of probably debilitating fragility fractures.”
Dr Famida Jiwa, Chair of the IOF Subcommittee of Affected person Societies
IOF President Professor Cyrus Cooper referred to as for motion:
“On the event of World Osteoporosis Day, we urge healthcare professionals to prioritize secondary fracture prevention of their fracture sufferers, to routinely assess post-menopausal girls for osteoporosis danger elements, and to supply diagnostic scanning based on nationwide tips.”
“A change of mindset is required to assist be certain that girls get pleasure from wholesome mobility and independence as they age.”
Worldwide Osteoporosis Basis